Monday, January 14, 2013

Adding Color to Paper Piecing


Hi everyone!  Janice here with my first post as a returning PK alumni designer.  I am so HAPPY to be back, I can't even tell you!  I just wanted to share some tips with you about adding color to your paper pieced images.  I have a very short video if you would like to watch.



It just shows a comparison of a paper pieced bear with and without added color.  Even if you are not comfortable adding color you should at least flick the edges with distress ink.  Even that small step can really make a difference.  I used the new bear stamp from the January Stamp of the Month Club, PKSC-13.

Here is my completed card.  Notice that I added a pattern to the floor to create more dimension.
I made the bed by cutting 2white posts about 1/2 inch wide, one shorter than the other and punching (2) 1/2 inch circles.  The mattress was was cut from patterned paper as well as the pillow.  The pillow is approximately 1/2 inch by 1and 1/2 inch with 2 of the corners rounded.  The bed skirt is a piece of elasticized yellow gingham ribbon.

The bedroom wall decor was made using PK-158 Get Well Bear.  The image was stamped onto shrink plastic, colored with Prismacolor pencils, cut out, and heated with a heat gun to shrink it.  I drew the blanket for the sleepy bear and added some shadows on the wall from the bed to create depth.

Thank you so much for stopping by!

Hugs and smiles,
Janice

8 comments:

  1. Oh My! Janice, this tutorial is A-Maze-ING! and the result on that fabulous scene is to die for! You ROCK my gud bud!!! Love you, love your project! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice, I love your tutorial! Your coloring really makes the little teddy PoP!! I love her little hair bows especially!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice, this is amazing! I love how the Copics make the colors so vibrant! Your little bear is the cutest! Thanks for sharing how you made the wall hanging, too. I knew what stamp you used but wasn't sure how you got it that small! Fabulous!! ~hugs, Saundra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice ~ YEAH a tutorial!!! AWESOME tutorial!! I am so impressed of how you color but showing us that adding just a little color makes a HUGE difference!! So CLEVER!! Your whole scene ~ Queen of scenes ~ is just ADORABLE and FABULOUS!! I can't believe you did that bed that with just that!! The floor does add dimension too! The shrink bear picture ~ CLEVER!! Again LOVE everything and I hope you do more videos!! I always enjoy watching them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janice,

    You are AMAZING! Thanks for all your tips and videos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful!! Thank you for the tips!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is sooo ADORABLE Janice!your coloring is perfect,AMAZING job as always my sweet friend!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good tip with the ribbon. I seem to never have the "right" color.

    ReplyDelete

comments

>